July 21, 2011 § 1 Comment
We thought you wouldn’t mind if we updated you a little on our coding work.
Yesterday we had one of your almost-weekly meetings, working across the big pond to work on the code. It has been four weeks since we started working on this major update. As it turns out the better description would be “complete re-write”.
Since mathblogging.org is our fun project and we’re all doing mathematical research to make a living, we don’t have a lot of time to work on the code. We realize that this is sometimes an inconvenience for the community, especially those 100 blogs that have been stuck in our delayed database update. As we wrote before, the size of the database as brought our puny amateur code to the breaking point. We cannot update the database before we finish this re-write or else the site will become very unreliable. Again, we’re sorry for any inconvenience that is already apparent (such as the infamous “white boxes” in the “by type” view).
The good news is that we’ve had a sort of debugging breakthrough yesterday when we finally solved a few major problems, getting the date view and type view going again. Next week we’re hoping to finish the debugging. We will test for at least one week locally before we push the update. So if all goes well, the biggest update so far (hey, we might even drop the “beta” ;) ) will be finished this month.