Big update — part 1
May 28, 2011 § 1 Comment
A couple of minutes ago we’ve updated the server with the first of a three part update that we’ve been working on for some time now.
Posts By Date and Weekly Picks
There are two visible new features. Fred made some specialized versions of the “posts by date”-view so that you can view the latest posts in each category; these views can be found in the menu. We also decided to replace the “Favorites” with our weekly picks. The main reason for the latter was that that view had virtually no hits while the weekly picks had a few.
On the less visible side, our feeds should behave better now thanks to both published and updated timestamps; in other words, updated posts will not appear on the top of our lists anymore and you can let your feed reader decide whether you care for updated posts. For our views we switched to the published timestamp as in our experience blog posts with significant updates are rare in the blogs that we display. Also, the feeds should now be w3c-compliant — well, as far as it’s in our control since we generate automatically out of the accumulated feeds and sometimes those are not compliant.
As you may have noticed, the “Stats”-view has been partially broken for a while now. This bug was due to inefficient code and Felix had written an update 2 weeks ago. But the bug was not too severe, more an inconvenience really; because we were working on a couple of new features, we decided to wait with our update.
There’s also a new Easter egg. For now, this isn’t visible but feel free to find it in our code and let us know what you think. We’ll test it over the next few days to see how it behaves in terms of bandwidth etc. If all goes well, we’ll make it public in part 2 of the big update.